Saturday, May 18

Response from Congressman Hultgren


Thank you for contacting me regarding the murder of our four American personnel in Benghazi, Libya.

I certainly share your outrage at the death of Ambassador Stevens, as well as the deaths of Foreign Service Officer Sean Smith, and security officers Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods.

Last year, I joined with 53 of my congressional colleagues in sending a letter to President Obama and former Secretary of State Clinton requesting a full and immediate response to a number of the allegations of incompetence, apathy, or intentional cover-up by their Administration. Specifically, I am concerned about the Administration ignoring prior attacks in Libya on American and international personnel, as well as the reduction of U.S. security personnel in Benghazi, while simultaneously adding danger pay to the personnel remaining - a tacit admission of the increased danger facing our personnel.

Additionally, I recently became a co-sponsor of a resolution to create a Select Committee on Benghazi, which would give the Congress vital powers of subpoena to finally get answers about what happened last September.

I am not optimistic that President Obama will show any willingness to work with the Congress to address this egregious violation of American sovereignty by foreign terrorists; however, rest assured my colleagues and I will continue to pursue accountability and answers from President Obama, including the possibility of forming a Select Committee on Benghazi and securing testimony from the eyewitness survivors of the attack.

Thank you again for your feedback and counsel; it is a privilege to serve you and the people of the 14th Congressional District. If you have additional questions, or if I can ever be helpful to you or your family, do not hesitate to contact me or my staff at 202-224-2976, or 630-232-7104.

Sincerely,
Randy Hultgren
Member of Congress

RH/mf

No comments: